Thursday, May 17, 2012

Uphill Battle

I was over at a blog that l follow on a regular basis http://travelswithmiranda.uskeba.ca/, the author Rae has just gone through an experience that l hope never to go through, she was rear ended while travelling in West Virginia with her Class C and toad.  The toad was a write off, and the RV suffered some damage too.

She is heading home to Quebec on a trip planned before the accident, and has just arrived, safe and sound.  She made a comment today about the consideration of other drivers, or shall we say lack of.  And l have to agree with her.

I was driving yesterday, in the Adirondack Region of New York, in my Class B Falcon, traveling from Wilmington to Lake Placid.  The terrain is hilly, and lets face it, my old girl is a wee bit slow on the uphill ride.  I've actually figured out that l can go faster if l am on cruise control (who ever invented cruise, l will forever love you!!!) then if l just jam my foot on the gas peddle.  I pretty much go to a crawl if l am not on cruise when l hit a hill.  I don't know if the Falcon has a guvnor on it restricting it from switching to high gear when not on cruise when climbing a hill, or if it is something else(anyone know - feel free to chime in).

So yesterday l was going 45 MPH uphill in a 50 MPH zone, when l was passed shortly after, which is fine with me.  I understand, l can lumber along and usually just stick at the speed limit.  What l don't understand, is about 150 yards after this guy passed me, he put on his brakes to make a right hand turn.  Really?  You couldn't wait an extra 30 seconds to get there, you had to pass me???

I always get out of the way of traffic behind me if l am going slower then posted speeds, l always stay in the right lane, and l am putting it out there, that if you are stuck behind me and l am going to slow for you, l apologize in advance.  :-)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tammy, ever since you mentioned 'Travels with Miranda', I have been reading her (Rae's) blog from the very start. It's like reading a nice adventure novel. I've read about 100 pages with about 222 to go! LOL!

    But don't worry, I'll always come back to check on you too!

    MarkInPalmSpringsCA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeeze mark, l was going to start getting jealous......until the last line of your comment!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toad = dingy in U.S. :) Sorry to hear about Rae's accident. Thanks for the introduction to her blog. Have added it to my list. HugZ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debra, I think they terms are interchangable no matter in the USA or Canada :-)

    ReplyDelete