Saturday, December 8, 2012

Family Christmas

I know it's a bit early but this evening l went to a family Christmas get-together.  The family is all from my fathers side who we never get to see.  Actually, l don't get to see much of my family anymore.  It seems to have shattered once my father passed away.

It was good seeing all my cousins (or most of them) from that side.  There were about 30 of us.  We spent about 4 hours talking, eating, drinking.

Plans were made to go with one cousin and her family to a homeless shelter for men on Christmas morning.  We have been doing it for 4 years now.  Her immediate family and my immediate family no longer have big Christmas shin-dings so we give back to the community that morning.

A number of years ago we inquired about going and serving a hot meal at the shelters but found out that you needed to apply months and months in advance and jump through hoops, so we struck out on our own.

We bring lunches and coats and blankets for the men.  I probably benefit more then the men who receive the items.

It was good to see everyone tonight.  My, how we have all changed.

1 comment: